Smoking materials (i.e., cigarettes, cigars, pipes, shisha which is basically a water pipe, etc.) can easily cause a fire in the home if they are not stored, used, and disposed of correctly. Therefore, it is important for smokers to know the steps they can take to keep themselves and their families safe from fire.
Hereunder are a few smoking safety tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Smoke outside.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Use deep, wide ashtrays on a strong table.
- Do not put ashtrays on the arms of sofas or chairs
- Before you throw out butts and ashes, make sure they are out, and dousing in water or sand.
- Do not leave cigarettes, cigars, or shisha unattended. Put out all smoking materials before you walk away.
- If you begin to feel sleepy or tired while watching television or reading, extinguish your smoking materials in a safe container.
- If friends or relatives who smoke have paid you a visit, be sure to check on the floor and around chair cushions for ashes that may have been dropped accidentally.
- Do not put ashtrays in a location where children or pets could knock them over.
- Never smoke in a home where oxygen is being used. Medical oxygen can explode if a flame or spark is near.
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of children’s sight and reach.
- Do not empty your ashtray into a bin because this can cause the bin to catch fire. A drop of water in the ashtray will help to make it safe.
General Fire Safety Tips.
- Make sure your smoke alarm is maintained and working properly.
- Have a smoke alarm in every level of your house.